Wednesday 8 May 2013

Plank-abs-tic

OK so here comes the first of my "raves"!

Don't be put off about the shortness of this rave compared to that of my first rant. Let it be said, that the fact that I'm raving about it is worth the equivalent of a long post!!

So if you have read my bio, you'll know I like to go to the gym. I have always had a gym membership, but it wasn't until I stopped smoking almost five years ago that I took it seriously and became a regular "gym bunny".

That said, it has always been an annoyance of mine that I never seem to improve. I'm always a beetroot colour after working out and I ache like crazy for about two days after working out. I must be improving though as I feel I am at most fittest right now. I love the classes I do; in some cases, I stretch myself even more by adding wrist weights to the advanced aerobics classes!!

So with the legs, bums and tums class being covered this week due to the Bank Holiday I had concerns the week wouldn't come up to the usual standards. No worries though, it was one of the best classes I had been to, and for the strangest of reasons.

Personally I hate doing the plank and believe this can only be perfected by people who weigh as much as a feather (i.e. I'd have to lose half my body weight to perfect the hold!) Either that or they have super strong arms and wrists!!

If I can manage a full 30 seconds hold in plank position I am impressed, but this week we were pushed to hold this in 6 different ways, each time for 30 seconds. With step moves and knee bends as well as just the standard hold. OK so I couldn't complete all of them, but I did try and successfully managed each hold for at least half the time. Believe me, for me, that's good and serious progress!

Normally I would also hate the abs workout that followed, but they were a pleasant break from all the planks! Thankfully I finished the class feeling like I had really worked out and look forward to the next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment